Vintage men’s clothing is all the rage right now. For many, the question isn’t “will you look better in vintage clothing” but rather: “what era do you most identify with?”
Let’s face it; Vintage is vigorous, it’s visceral, it is virtuous. You can’t get more stylish. You can’t possibly be cooler. If that hasn’t sold you, nothing will. You’re either a vintage virtuoso or not. Depends what’s going on in that head of yours.
Interesting and must meet
Clothes from the early half of the 20th Century seem to be the thing now and produce the kind of head-spin that is the desired effect. Now, you obviously must do this well; otherwise, you’ll look a mess (got to be frank here). You must know what to do with certain items to give your look the kind of je nes sails pas that will have people thinking about you all the time. You will immediately be deemed interesting. If that’s what you want, you’re at the right place.
Tips on how to pull off this look:
- You must mix vintage clothing with modern stuff to get that mind-blowing effect. It can be entirely subtle with just a vintage tie and stylish suit, or it can be more radical with the penny-farthing watch, waistcoat, hat et al or suspenders.
- You must own your look. Don’t copy something that you saw in a magazine or on television. It’s okay to copy some of it, just not all of it.
- The fabulous retro tough look, inspired by Brando in The Wild Ones and James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause are “rugged send shivers down your partner’s spine” that the “don’t-mess-with-me people are letting loose.”
- Clean white T-shirt, dirty jeans, black leather bomber jacket, leather cap, and a bandana. Don’t forget the smirk or lopsided grin, just to tie it together.
- Footwear can be fickle and feral, which you don’t want, or feudal, which maybe you do want. This is the tricky part of the whole ensemble. You may want to get the ‘worn look,’ which is very popular. Buy this kind of footwear at a vintage shop.
- The classic Sherlock-and-Holmes outfits spurred on by vast exposure on television have become increasingly popular, especially with the trendy set who meet at Hell’s Kitchen on a Sunday afternoon.
Everyone else may think that you look slightly insane, but then, that’s exactly the kind of thing that you want them to think.
What fun you will have
The significant part about vintage shopping is that it’s exciting. That is part of the whole vintage whirl. I wouldn’t try buying the outfit in Derby, Ohio unless they have a rail of the stuff at the back of the Dairy Queen, but oh, what fun you can have in the larger centers. It is thrilling because you can get stuff that nobody else has.
Also exciting is the fact that worn items that used to be looked down on are now intensely fashionable as if you’ve also taken on the persona of the person who used to wear it. Did you want to be a new you? You’ve got it.